In Montreal in 2012. I recently went from LOVe to AMORE. (Photo by Jason Utt.)
Department of Translation and Language Sciences
Roc Boronat building (Communication-Poblenou campus)
Roc Boronat, 138
Phone: +34 93 542 2232
With funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (grant agreement No 715154).
We are hiring! (2 PhD students and 3 post-docs)
*** deadline for applications: PhD students: January 19, post-docs: January 27 ***
I work as a tenure-track researcher (Ramón y Cajal fellow) in the Department of Translation and Language Sciences of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain).
My main research area is Computational Linguistics (aka Natural Language Processing). I am interested in semantics, or how meaning works in natural languages. I work with computational models (distributional semantics, neural networks) that are able to induce very rich and flexible semantic representations directly from examples of how people use language. I am currently working on reference, or how we use language to talk about the world: I just need to utter a series of words, for instance "the smart woman we met the other day at the meeting", and my interlocutor will be able to identify the person I mean. I am building computational models that are able to do this, like humans do.
For more, please check my publications, projects, resources, and Google Scholar profile.
lexical semantics; compositional semantics; reference; computational, quantitative and data-intensive approaches to language.
- January 2017: Invited talk at ILLC, Amsterdam, 19/1.
- January 2017: Very happy to join the Department of Translation and Language Sciences of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra as a tenure-track researcher!
- December 2016: I'll be an invited speaker at TbiLLC 2017 in Georgia next September.
- December 2016: Final version, Conceptual vs. Referential Affordance in Concept Composition, with L. McNally. To appear in Yoad Winter & James Hampton (eds.) Concept Composition and Experimental Semantics/Pragmatics, Springer.
- December 2016: Talk at MAIN@NIPS (MAchine INtelligence workshop, NIPS 2016), Barcelona.
- October 2016: I'll be an invited speaker at the 18th Szklarska Poreba Workshop next March.
- September 2016: We have released the test set of LAMBADA, our text understanding dataset. Download it and improve on 0% accuracy!
- September 2016: Computational Linguistics article in press, in the Special Issue we have edited: Formal Distributional Semantics: Introduction to the Special Issue, with Aurélie Herbelot.
- August 2016: ERC Starting Grant awarded, project AMORE: A distributional MOdel of Reference to Entities. Thanks to all who helped me get there!!!
- July 2016: Long paper, oral presentation accepted at EMNLP 2016: Convolutional Neural Network Language Models, with Quan Pham Ngoc and Germán Kruszewski.
- July 2016: Keynote speaker at NASSLLI 2016 Workshop on Statistical and Logical Models of Meaning (SaLMoM) workshop, New Jersey, US (slides).
- June 2016: Tenure-track research position awarded in the competitive Ramón y Cajal programme, Spain.
- June 2016: Long paper, oral presentation accepted at ACL 2016: The LAMBADA dataset: Word prediction requiring a broad discourse context, with a bunch of people from my group.
- March 2016: Invited speaker at CREST workshop, Sendai, Japan (slides).
- February 2016: Invited talk at ILCC/HCRC seminar series, Edinburgh, UK.
- Area Co-chair for Semantics, ACL 2016, Berlin, Germany.
- Co-organizer, ESSLLI 2016 workshop DSALT: Distributional Semantics and Linguistic Theory (Bolzano, Italy, 15-19 August 2016).