In Montreal in 2012. I recently went from LOVe to AMORE. (Photo by Jason Utt.)
Department of Translation and Language Sciences
Roc Boronat building (Communication-Poblenou campus)
Roc Boronat, 138
Phone: +34 93 542 2232
With funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (grant agreement No 715154).
I work as a tenure-track researcher (Ramón y Cajal fellow) in the Department of Translation and Language Sciences of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona, Spain).
My main research area is Computational Linguistics (aka Natural Language Processing). I am interested in semantics, or how meaning works in natural languages. I work with computational models (distributional semantics, neural networks) that are able to induce very rich and flexible semantic representations directly from examples of how people use language. I am currently working on reference, or how we use language to talk about the world: I just need to utter a series of words, for instance "the smart woman we met the other day at the meeting", and my interlocutor will be able to identify the person I mean. I am building computational models that are able to do this, like humans do.
For more, please check my publications, projects, resources, and Google Scholar profile.
lexical semantics; compositional semantics; reference; computational, quantitative and data-intensive approaches to language.
- February 2017: Short paper accepted at EACL 2017: Instances and concepts in distributional space, with Sebastian Padó and Abhijeet Gupta.
- February 2017: Very happy that the ERC Starting Grant project AMORE: A distributional MOdel of Reference to Entities has started! I'm still building my team; if you're interested in joining, drop me a line.
- January 2017: The Special Issue of Computational Linguistics on Formal Distributional Semantics, that Aurélie Herbelot and me have edited, is out! Check also our Introduction.
- January 2017: Invited talk at ILLC, Amsterdam, 19/1.
- January 2017: Very happy to join the Department of Translation and Language Sciences of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra as a tenure-track researcher!
- December 2016: I'll be an invited speaker at TbiLLC 2017 in Georgia next September.
- December 2016: Final version, Conceptual vs. Referential Affordance in Concept Composition, with L. McNally. To appear in Yoad Winter & James Hampton (eds.) Concept Composition and Experimental Semantics/Pragmatics, Springer.
- December 2016: Talk at MAIN@NIPS (MAchine INtelligence workshop, NIPS 2016), Barcelona.
- October 2016: I'll be an invited speaker at the 18th Szklarska Poreba Workshop next March.
- September 2016: We have released the test set of LAMBADA, our text understanding dataset. Download it and improve on 0% accuracy!
- July 2016: Long paper, oral presentation accepted at EMNLP 2016: Convolutional Neural Network Language Models, with Quan Pham Ngoc and Germán Kruszewski.
- July 2016: Keynote speaker at NASSLLI 2016 Workshop on Statistical and Logical Models of Meaning (SaLMoM) workshop, New Jersey, US (slides).
- June 2016: Tenure-track research position awarded in the competitive Ramón y Cajal programme, Spain.
- June 2016: Long paper, oral presentation accepted at ACL 2016: The LAMBADA dataset: Word prediction requiring a broad discourse context, with a bunch of people from my group.
- March 2016: Invited speaker at CREST workshop, Sendai, Japan (slides).
- Area Co-chair for Semantics, ACL 2016, Berlin, Germany.
- Co-organizer, ESSLLI 2016 workshop DSALT: Distributional Semantics and Linguistic Theory (Bolzano, Italy, 15-19 August 2016).